I have a friend visiting from out of town and she had one simple request and that was to make her Saltfish. This is a very West Indian dish and it is usually served either with rice and dhal or bake. Bake is a fry bread that is a popular breakfast item in the Caribbean. Today I will not be making rice or bake…she will provide that part of the meal. This is a very simple and quick meal to make and it is a meal every aest Indian always have a craving for. Just the mere mention of Bake and Saltfish causes jealously of those who aren’t here to eat it. So today I will be the object of everyone’s envy.
- 1 lb Boneless, skinless salfish
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp mince garlic
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 1 hot pepper, wiri wiri or any other will do
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 3 scallion chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp cilantro, chopped
- Rinse the saltfish in warm water. Boil the salfish in water for 10 minutes. Pour off the water, fill the pot with fresh water and boil for another ten minutes. This is important step to get rid of some of the salt in the saltfish. You can also soak it overnight to remove the salt. Drain the water from the fish and flake with a fork.
- Heat oil in pan,onions and cook for about 3 minutes, then add garlic, thyme and pepper.
- Once the garlic is fragrant add chopped tomatoes.
- Saute for about 10 minutes on a medium fire, until the tomatoes have broken down. Add flaked saltfish and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Add chopped scallion and a splash of lime juice and black pepper in last 5 minutes of cooking. Cook until the liquid had evaporated and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve with bake or dhal and rice.