The ultimate day for love is right around the corner. That’s right folks; Valentine’s Day is only 3 days away. Some may go to dinner while others will brave the kitchen and cook a romantic meal for their honey. What’s a romantic meal? For me it’s anything that I didn’t cook!! Hey, when you are the CFO(Chief Foodie Official) you tend to cook most all of the meals and it’s a nice change to be cooked for.
I’m sure there’s nothing sexy about slaving over the stove and getting sweaty so simplicity is key! If trying a new recipe for the first time, don’t select anything too complicated. What’s even better? Bring him or her into the kitchen and cook together.
Here’s a simple dessert that would be a great ending to any meal. Yes I’m partial to all things tropical but the combination of buttery puff pastry, cream cheese and guava complement each other perfectly. Guava cheese puff or guayaba de patelitos, as it’s known as in the Latin community, is as simple as it gets. Just a few great ingredients will make you seem like a baking wiz! Premade puff pastry is filled with cream cheese and guava paste then baked until golden brown. Guava paste can be found in most Latin markets. Guava, a fruit that is native to South and Central America but can be found in countries with tropical climates and is difficult to find in the Continental US. A small round fruit whose skin that can be eaten when ripe, varies in color on the inside from yellow to pink. I loved eating guavas when I was a child growing up in Guyana, so I find ways to get my guava fix and this is it.
- ⅓ cup Guava Paste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 tsp milk
- 2 sheets puff pastry (1 lb package)
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp water
- Flour for dusting board
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a fork, mix egg yolk with water then set aside.
- In a small container place guava paste with 1 tsp lime juice in the microwave and heat for 15 seconds until soft. Stir until well combined, now set it aside.
- Next add 1 tsp of milk to cream cheese and combine with a fork until smooth. Set aside.
- Place a sprinkling of flour on your work surface, then roll puff pastry to form a thin rectangle. Using a large heart shaped cookie cutter (about 5 inches) cut out 12 hearts.
- Next place a dollop of cream cheese onto half of the heart cutouts. Spread leaving a border around the edges. Next add a guava paste on top and spread to cover the cream cheese. Repeat until you have guava and cream cheese on all 6 of the heart cutouts.
- Next brush the edges with egg wash then place the remaining 6 heart cutouts on top then press the edges with a fork pressing.
- Place onto an ungreased baking pan then brush the tops with egg wash. Place into preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool before serving.