I have a confession to make. I’ve had this perfect recipe for Guyanese Plait Bread for quite some time. In my defense I did test it quite a few times to make sure that I was sharing the perfect recipe, and that it is.
First, let me just say that there is nothing better than freshly baked bread—with butter. Between the three of us we devour a loaf within 24 hours. It’s just that good.
Simply put, Guyanese plait bread is white bread that isn’t too light or too dense. It’s sturdy enough to dipping in warm stews such as Pepperpot.
Honestly, I wish I would bake fresh bread more often but let’s face it, with the busy lives that we all lead that’s just not possible. Having said that, make this bread! You won’t regret it.
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- 1 ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp warm water at 110 degrees
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl place warm water and sugar, then sprinkle yeast on to water and let sit for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to proof.
- Add flour, melted butter and salt in the mixture with the yeast and mix to form a dough. The dough will be sticky. Add just enough flour (about 2 tablespoon) and knead for 5 to 10 minutes. A stand up mixer with the dough hook attachment would be an excellent alternative to hand kneading the dough.
- Cover bowl with a clothe then set in a warm place and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes to form a smooth ball, this shouldn’t take long. Next cut the dough into 3 even pieces then roll each piece into equal logs about 14 inches.
- Braid the 3 logs to form the loaf. Make sure both ends are secure by pressing them together firmly then tucking under.
- Let rise for 45 minutes in a warm place. On the cooktop of the preheated oven would be perfect.
- In a small bowl mix egg yolk and water with a fork then brush on the top of the bread. This will create a golden brown crust.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, then place in a bag and seal.